Retained Patent Prosecution & Counseling Searches (Biotech and Chem/Pharma)
Summary: Longtime client of Garrison & Sisson, a top-tier IP boutique, has two separate but immediate needs, for which they have engaged us on a retained basis. The searches are both seeking an associate with 3-7 years of prosecution/counseling experience or a patent agent.
The areas are (1) biotech and (2) chemical/pharmaceutical. For both searches, the work will involve original patent drafting and prosecution for domestic patents, opinion writing, licensing, and IPR matters.
Search 1 (biotech): Industry focus includes emerging technologies involving immunology, cell therapy, gene technology, vaccines, therapeutic antibodies, biologics, and cancer research.
Search 2: (chemical/pharmaceutical): Industry focus includes representing companies involved in the development of new chemical entities, new methods of chemical synthesis, formulations, and new therapeutic methods.
These searches are a high priority for this firm, and they have engaged Garrison & Sisson on a retained/exclusive basis.
What is Unique About These Opportunities:
- We believe this firm’s prosecution/counseling practice sits differently in the market than many others. Unlike some firms that prioritize patent litigation over prosecution/counseling, this firm treats prosecution equally and regularly promotes prosecution/counseling associates to partner. At this firm, you can have a long-term career focusing on prosecution and counseling, and you’ll learn from some of the top attorneys in the fields.
- The firm has sophisticated industry clients who need assistance on innovative, front-page technologies. Your work will never be mundane, and you will consistently work on some of the firm’s most visible and interesting matters.
- The firm also works with venture capitalists who value the attorneys’ technical and legal acumen, providing a unique adjunct to the more traditional practice.
- The attorneys in these groups are thoughtful, professional, and supportive. The partners are focused on developing associates and agents and turning them into the next generation of superstars. This means partners share the most exciting work and truly value associates’ and agents’ input and ideas.
- You will have opportunities to become a key part of client teams and business development efforts and to hone your skills through outstanding mentoring & training programs. You’ll develop your career in an environment nationally recognized for its commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Reason for the Searches: The firm has enjoyed tremendous success and is looking to hire in response to an increase in work.
Flexible Hours/Competitive Compensation: This firm offers the best of both worlds. It pays very competitively with the top of the market (including the opportunity to earn more based on bonuses) but also offers you a flexible billable hour election plan (we can provide more detail on this aspect).
Geographic Location: While this firm is located in DC, it is very open to considering an out-of-town remote position for the right candidate. Regardless of location, you’ll have robust growth opportunities and a significant amount of client and inventor contact.
The Right Fit:
- The firm is seeking associates (2014-2019) or patent agents with patent prosecution experience and an advanced degree in either (1) biotech or a related discipline, or (2) organic, medicinal, or polymer chemistry, or a related discipline. Industry experience a plus but not required.
- If you currently have a mixed practice of prosecution and patent litigation but wish to focus more exclusively on prosecution and counseling, we encourage you to contact us.
- If you enjoy client interaction, would like to concentrate your practice in the biotech or chemical/pharmaceutical areas, and are interested in growing your client exposure by working directly with transformative inventors and companies that are developing cutting-edge technologies, this position could be a great fit for you.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact Gary McGinnis confidentially at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-659-2028. Please be assured all communications will be kept strictly confidential.
Job ID: 15220