One-of-a-kind Defamation Litigation Search: Premier Practice with Newsworthy Clients and Top-Tier Responsibility
Garrison has been engaged by the country’s leading defamation law firm to assist in their search for a litigation associate or counsel to do some of the most exciting and unique work one can find.
The Work: This firm is without peer when it comes to handling the largest and most newsworthy defamation cases in the country. The firm only represents plaintiffs in defamation and trade secrets cases. Many of their matters have been covered by the most well-known media outlets. The practice can be divided into three components: (i) litigation (very little document review and a lot of high-level tasks), (ii) pre-publication counseling and (iii) post-publication counseling.
- Trial-Level Responsibility: This small firm already has three trials scheduled next year and averages two to three trials annually. You will not only have the opportunity to get trial experience, take depositions and make oral arguments, but will also receive tremendous experience writing dispositive motions and briefs. Even as an associate, you will be the direct client contact in many of your matters. The firm acts as a meritocracy; if you show the ability, you will be rewarded with great responsibility.
- Fascinating Clients: The clients are largely political figures, sports teams, billionaires, Fortune 500 companies, and even some celebrities. This is the “go to” plaintiff’s firm for all major defamation cases nationwide. Even some of the people the firm deposes are major public figures. The firm takes an apolitical approach to clients and will represent anyone who has a major defamation case.
- Building Your Brand: The firm is extremely supportive in your efforts to become nationally known for your work. Not only will you receive the opportunity to become an outstanding lawyer in and out of the courtroom, but there will be endless opportunities to connect with clients, take on speaking engagements, and make media appearances.
- Advancement: High quality associates become partners at this firm. Once you show the ability to solely take a case from complaint through trial, you will advance. The firm turns down a large amount of work and thus has many avenues to help you acquire your own docket. Furthermore, the name partners would like the firm to exist well beyond their lifetimes and are looking for lawyers who can eventually carry the firm into the future.
- Professional Development: The partners put great value on professional development and annually host formal deposition and trial trainings. You will have direct access to, and will be learning from, two of the most accomplished and famous lawyers in the country.
Compensation: Despite its small size, this firm pays annual compensation that is comparable to that of large law firms. This includes significant bonuses for certain trials and oral arguments.
The Requirements: The candidate must have at least one year of litigation experience from an AmLaw 200 firm or elite boutique. Both associates and counsels who fit the criteria will be considered for this position. DOJ lawyers are welcome to apply if they are a trial or appellate court litigator and have substantial prior prestigious law firm experience. Associates who are primarily investigation lawyers do not fit the profile for this position.
Location: Please note that the firm has gorgeous offices located in Northern Virginia. You must either be barred in Virginia, be able to waive-in over the next two years or be willing to sit for the Virginia Bar.
*** Amazing opportunity to do incredibly interesting work, build your national profile and receive trial litigation experience.