Exclusive, Retained Patent Litigation Associate Search | Substantive Trial Opportunities
Summary: Longtime client of Garrison & Sisson, a top-tier IP boutique, has an immediate associate need for which they have engaged us on a retained basis. They are seeking a patent litigator with 3-6 years of experience litigating complex patent issues, particularly before district courts.
The group’s docket is roughly 1/2 to 2/3 district court and 1/3 to 1/2 ITC. The work involves pharmaceuticals (including Hatch-Waxman) and a very steady flow of other industries/technologies, such as automobiles, golf clubs, automated telephone software, bottling, internet and computer software, etc. While a science background is helpful, it is not a requirement for associates with patent litigation experience.
What is Unique About This Opportunity:
- A Diverse and High-End Practice: Sophisticated clients turn to this team for assistance on innovative, front-page matters. Its client base includes some of the biggest names in a variety of industries and well-known products you would immediately recognize. You will also make contacts and connections with major in-house legal departments.
- Substantive Trial Opportunities: You will work directly with partners, have access to clients, and will gain highly substantive experience early in your career. The partners shared that it is “rare” for a third-year associate in this practice to have not yet first-chaired a deposition, and the opportunities only grow from there. The group goes to trial about 4-5 times a year, and almost all associates have been to trial at least once.
- An Energetic Culture that Values Community: The attorneys in this practice are supportive, social, and closely connected. They value community and work to build it through formal and informal social activities and regular communication. The partners in this practice are energetic and enthusiastic about their practice while staying flexible, accommodating, and supportive when it comes to associates’ lives outside of the office.
- Top-Notch Career Development in a Highly Collaborative Environment: The partners are focused on developing associates and turning them into the next generation of leaders. This means partners share the most exciting work and value associates’ input and ideas. You will have opportunities to become a key part of client teams and business development efforts and to hone your skills through outstanding mentoring & training programs.
Reason for the Search: The firm trial practice is very active and growing, and they are looking to hire to meet current demand plus a steady stream of incoming work.
Flexible Hours/Competitive Compensation: This firm offers the best of both worlds. It pays very competitively with the top of the market (including the opportunity to earn more based on bonuses) but also offers you a flexible billable hour election plan (we can provide more detail on this aspect).
Geographic Flexibility & Remote Work Options: While this firm is located in DC, it is open to considering an out-of-town remote position for the right candidate. Regardless of location, you’ll have robust growth opportunities and a significant amount of partner and client contact.
The Right Fit:
- You have 3-6 years of experience in high-level patent litigation, particularly in matters before district courts, OR you have 3-6 years of experience in a well-regarded litigation practice, a background in science, and an interest in patent law.
- You are interested in developing a sophisticated and diversified practice with exposure to a variety of different technologies on a consistent basis.
- You are eager to further hone your skills as a litigator and are enthusiastic about opportunities to gain real, substantive trial experience.
- You thrive in team-oriented environments, and you value regular communication and collaboration with your colleagues.
This search is a high priority for this firm, and they have engaged Garrison & Sisson on a retained, exclusive basis. If you are interested in learning more, please contact Gary McGinnis at email@example.com or 202-659-2028. Please be assured all communications will be kept strictly confidential.
Job ID: 16023